Today was my last day in NYP. It's funny, only 5 months, yet I grew very attached to my (admittedly still very bare) corner, as well as the 3 wonderful pple I shared the office with. Fact that 4 of us got along so well actually made the office a haven at work.
Still, it had to be the busiest day I had in the 5 months there. Here's a rundown from 8am-
8am - Send out emails to handover work
9am-11am - Classes
11am-12pm - Feedback session to FSRC students
12pm - Class
1pm - Answer exam questions, meet previous round of FSRC students
130pm - Final update of files before emailing out to colleagues
2pm - Type final emails to colleagues and students
230pm - Return laptop
3pm - Rush down to Raffles Place for pre-employment medical
5pm - Rush back to do outprocessing with admin manager.
Up to that point, I had not drunk or eaten anything all day. But then something I didn't expect:
It had been hinted to me that the FSRC students wanted to do something for me before I left, but when I got there, I was so surprised. Both previous rounds of students were there (about 40?) as well as all the supervisors. They had food, sparking grape juice, cake and all. They burned a video message that really touched me, drew a piece of art and signed on it, bought me a pair of bull/bear cufflinks. So touched. In my 5 months there, FSRC had to be the most fun and most enjoyable part of the experience, because it allowed me to do exactly what I went there to do in the first place - to teach them skill sets for the work place, to get them excited about potential jobs in the industry, to aid them in their search for their own career paths.
In that time, I got to know more than 200 students through classes & FSRC and I am very glad that many of them have told me I had an impact. I hope and pray that the impact will be a lasting one, or that I would be able to continue to do that in some way, which is why I gave them an email address to contact me.
I may have chosen my own path, but I am very excited to see them carve out their own paths and I fully intend to continue to help any of them in whatever way I can in the future.
Still, it had to be the busiest day I had in the 5 months there. Here's a rundown from 8am-
8am - Send out emails to handover work
9am-11am - Classes
11am-12pm - Feedback session to FSRC students
12pm - Class
1pm - Answer exam questions, meet previous round of FSRC students
130pm - Final update of files before emailing out to colleagues
2pm - Type final emails to colleagues and students
230pm - Return laptop
3pm - Rush down to Raffles Place for pre-employment medical
5pm - Rush back to do outprocessing with admin manager.
Up to that point, I had not drunk or eaten anything all day. But then something I didn't expect:
It had been hinted to me that the FSRC students wanted to do something for me before I left, but when I got there, I was so surprised. Both previous rounds of students were there (about 40?) as well as all the supervisors. They had food, sparking grape juice, cake and all. They burned a video message that really touched me, drew a piece of art and signed on it, bought me a pair of bull/bear cufflinks. So touched. In my 5 months there, FSRC had to be the most fun and most enjoyable part of the experience, because it allowed me to do exactly what I went there to do in the first place - to teach them skill sets for the work place, to get them excited about potential jobs in the industry, to aid them in their search for their own career paths.
In that time, I got to know more than 200 students through classes & FSRC and I am very glad that many of them have told me I had an impact. I hope and pray that the impact will be a lasting one, or that I would be able to continue to do that in some way, which is why I gave them an email address to contact me.
I may have chosen my own path, but I am very excited to see them carve out their own paths and I fully intend to continue to help any of them in whatever way I can in the future.
0 comments:
Post a Comment